11 Jul 2016

My second guitar build diary, part 3.5-Unboxing the parts

My dog came smelling around the stuff I had ordered.  
(7.7.)Hi guys! I started my two week summer job yesterday, but also received the guitar parts I had ordered via mail!
  I'm working in a small cafe at the countryside... Not so busy, I would say. It's a real nice place to work; I get coffee and pies for free! ;)
  OK. Back to what I was supposed to write about.. So yesterday I got my order of guitar parts and I was pleased with what I had bought. When I went to pick my package up at the post office, I couldn't believe what I saw.. The package was absolutely huge for the stuff that was in.. To be honest, it was over half empty. It was mostly filled with newspaper and bubble plastic. I mean, they were packed in a cardboard guitar box and I could honestly fit everything else than the fretboard, truss rod and fret bars into the tremolo box!
 
  Here's a list of what I bought and some pictures.
-Wilkinson vintahe tremolo















-medium jumbo fret wire(2,7 mm)












-Single action truss rod (I would have wanted a dual action rod, but there wasn't that specific length available.)














-Graphite top nut, 43 mm wide











-Two white Les Paul style bell pot knobs
-CTS 500k pots (one logarithmic and one linear) for carved top guitars
















-Mini ON/ON/ON toggle switch.











-Strap pins with screws












-Wilkinson locking tuners 6L (EZ-LOK)

















-Indian rosewood A quality fretboard blank












-Output jack












-16 6mm fretboard inlay dots, green abalone (yeah, I'm not brave enough to try custom inlays just yet... Not without appropriate equipment.)













-Pick holder for guitar












-09-046 strings to be the first ones to put on.

 I had also ordered the body wood from another distributer, but when I received it, it turned out to be twisted and probably unstable so I'm sending it back..
  Looks like there's no way to get proper good quality tonewood for lower price.. So I'm waiting for getting some pictures of body and top woods to choose from, from a Finnish luthier who sold me the neck and top blanks for my first guitar as well! He promised me to send them by Wednesday to my email.

  Unfortunately I've been far too busy to even think about writing lately... Even though my work is nice and easy, I'm very tired in the evening so I just rest and play my guitar. And also on top of all I was to my cousins confirmation party on Sunday and today (11.7.) I was in an employment event a advertising my own small dog's toy business and 4H..woke up at 5 am. But it was sort of fun, tiring though.

  Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts with me through the comments or via email (craftsmanmusical6@gmail.com) See you soon, when the fretboard is somewhat finished! :)


Here you can slightly see how the wood is twisted....
Not happy with the customer service either..





No comments:

Post a Comment