26 Jun 2016

My Les Paul ultra (by Epiphone)


   Hi guys! Today I wanted to write you about my first ever guitar I've had: an Epiphone Les Paul ultra! It was originally my fathers but last fall I lended it and it turned to be mine! :)
  It's playability is absolutely fantastic! It has quite low action and bit shorter scale than most, say, Fenders. (24" ¾ where a Strat, for example, has 25"½ scale.) I love that guitar and I'm very lucky to be able to start with a guitar that good.
  And it keeps tuned for ages. (The Grover tuners do their job well.) I also like the sound of it and 20" fretboard radius.
  Of course it is a beautiful instrument with the carved quilt maple top and colors.
  It is really nice to play for long periods of time for it's light weight. (This ultra model is semi-hollow.)

  I'm still confused with the electronics, though. Because it has a neck piezo microphone among the two humbuckers and two output jacks, I'm not sure which pot affects what. And opening the back plate didn't help, because they are active electronics so there's just too much going on...
Not sure which is which.. The upper right one
is probably for the piezo, I might be wrong.
If you know, please tell me! :)
  And as I'm the third owner of the guitar, I haven't been advised to that topic.. So I just once turn the pots as I like them and after that just don't touch them much, to prevent getting too confused again. ;) Using the toggle switch to change sound.

The neck piezo mic. A Shadow NanoMag
 














    Maybe I'll learn it someday, I hope. By sound I think it's best for playing bluesy kinda rock or something similar. (At least through my Behringer amp.)
  In my opinion, it could have two more frets to that 22 it gas now. And the pots, as said, could be so much more clear.
Two output jacks.
  I have two guitars so far. This and the one I've built. This one I like to use, for example , when I'm playing Hotel California by Eagles, November rain and Sweet child O'mine by Guns'n'Roses, SRV, Bon Jovi, Clapton or Hendrix. So most of them are blues. That's because my other guitar has the awesome "rock guitar sound"! So it is better for stuff like Black Sabbath, Queen, Ac/Dc and Led Zeppelin. (So I'm lucky to have built a guitar that best suits for playing my favorite music!) :)
 
  Thanks for reading! If I forgot to mention something you'd like to know, feel free to ask on the comment form or send me an Email at craftsmanmusical6@gmail.com
Stay tuned and I'll be back soon with new posts! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment