22 Jun 2016

My second guitar build diary. Part 1 (intro)




  Hi there! This post is an intro for my oncoming guitar build diary! Some steps that I feel most comfortable with, I will post as tutorials. This build is going to be a complete custom model with custom body shape, custom neck and headstock shape, custom fretboard inlays (if I´m brave enough..) and custom wiring (as it seems to be my most comfortable area). 
   This build series is going to be a non-cheduled as I buy the materials according to my financial situation...(Essential things come first, and guitars aren´t one, even though I think they are ;) ) But hopefully I´ll be able to complete this build by the end of 2016.

  Here some specs I have planned to have in my guitar so far:

-24" (or 610 mm) scale. (I had the same scale length in my first built and it fits my short fingers perfectly! It is also good for playing that include lots of bends.) 
-24 frets, giving me the "extra reach of two frets". Nice to have when needed!
-Set neck with all access for high frets, scarf joint at peg head.
-Dual truss rod, adjusting at headstock.
-Medium jumbo frets (2,7 mm)
-Graphite nut (43 mm wide)
-Rosewood fretboard with 20" radius. (That´s what I´m used to and after trying guitars with smaller radiuses, I´ve found that 20" suits best for my playing.)
-Carved quilt (/flame) maple top. (Not sure if I can find quilted maple in my area for affordable price.)
-Tremolo bridge.
-Two single coil-sized humbuckers with all wires in reach for phase switching and one single coil in the middle. (Maybe vintage wound for bright tone? Let´s see what I can find.)
-Phase and on/off switches for both humbuckers. Maybe for middle-bridge-phase switch as well if I can come up with how it´s done, probably. (Inspired by the Red Special, but still my own.)
-Master volume and tone pots. I´d like to have individual pots for each pickup, but for three pickups there´d be just too much going on there.
-Chrome metal parts. (Bridge, tuners...)
-Tortoise binding for the body.
-Neck, back and sides stained black.
-The top stained green with. (both with Crimson Guitars´ stains.)
-Oil finish. Satin (less layers) for the neck and high gloss (more layers) for at least the top. (Rest of the body can be satin of high gloss, I´ll see what I prefer for this guitar when I´m at that stage.)

  I´ll be starting with the neck and fretboard, like I did in my first build. I will have to invest in some tools. At least a meter long straight edge to start with! (I measured the fret locations with 30 cm plastic ruler in my first build...No problem though!) 
  I would post a picture of my plans if they weren´t drawn on A4s taped together and so unclear.. :)

That´s all for this time then. Hope you´ll follow this build and give me advise if I seem to need it. Feel free to ask your questions, too! I´m more than happy if I can help you! Please comment below or send me an E-mail for more specific information! ( craftsmanmusical6@gmail.com ) 
  
  And hey! I almost forgot! When I get my first videos ready, I´ll post them on youtube and give a link here! Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment