24 Jun 2016

My second guitar build, part 2-The neck and little about the wiring



  Things are going awesome and I got the neck nice and "done"! In fact, I have had it in this stage for like a month now, but since then, I haven't done any progress except in the plans.
  Yesterday I finally made a cost estimation including all parts and finishing products and even delivery charges. It's looking like being around 200€, depending on if I make a quilt maple top or one piece body. (With the quilt maple the total cost would be closer to 350€!) I'm still not completely certain what the cost will be exactly; I made some changes to my plans today (not being on the computer, where I got all counted together). But I know that it will make the cost smaller.

  The changes that I made were all in the wiring, which wasn't yet planned more than in my head. I'm turning to have a one-piece body, as it is a lot cheaper and still it will be make as good instrument, just looking different. And as I hate plastic, I don't want a pickguard AT ALL. So I simplified my wirings to make it possible on a carved top guitar.

  This is what I ended up with: two pickups ( humbuckers) with 3-way toggle and master volume and master tone pots.

  It would have been impossible to fit 6 slide switches and two pots on a carved top, without a pickguard, among the trem. So I just, even once, keep it simple. (only the wiring though!)


  So, the neck! The neck is made of an old piece of wood that I already had. It's actually sauna building leftover like 15 years back! You can feel it is dry! Good tonal quality, it seems. I'm not quite sure about what wood species it is. I know it is hard and dry, but that's all I can say.

  I started by sawing the scarf joint angle. In this specific guitar, it's 14°. The head stock side has to be planed to the right thickness to fit the tuners. It's easier before gluing the joint. Of course plenty of sanding needs to be done to smoothen it. Glued up with Titebond and ready for the next step.

  Then I designed the headstock shape and located the tuner holes correctly. Then I drilled the holes, first with a small bit for guidance and then with a 10 mm one.

  Next up I had to do the routing for the truss rod. This one is a little thinner than in my first build. My router slipped a little, don't know how. I have to pay more attention next time! So I had to fix it with heavy wood putty. Hopefully it doesn't cause vibrations and twist the neck.

  Once the putty was hardened, I cut out the headstock shape with my Coping saw and then the neck width was cut with a hand saw.

  Then I thicknessed the neck profile with a plane and carved the shape of the neck with my rasp. This neck is more of a Fender flavoured, so it doesn't have a thick neck heel.

  I fine the neck carving very relaxing and fun job. That's where you can feel the neck and know exactly when you have the shape you're looking for.

 Tons of sanding up to high grits and then to fill the grain of the neck. I luckily have still about half of my Rustin's mahogany filler left. Before that, I had to fill a couple of drill holes, left from the neck's "sauna era". I used wooden grill sticks for that.

  After grain filling, the sticks are hardly visible and will hide even more when the neck gets stained black.

  The neck profile feels real nice at this point. Can't wait to buy all the other parts and start the building for real! Let's see when the coping saw #2 falls apart ;).

  See you next time! And hey, if you know some place where you can buy less costy tone woods, please let me know! Comment below or email me at craftsmanmusical6@gmail.com ! Feel free to ask your questions, too! Thank you and stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment